Kings Langley Photographer

A little something about Kings Langley

History of Kings Langley

Kings Langley is a large village, situated in the Gade Valley and is of significant historical interest. It is just over the canal from Nash Mills, both villages follow the canal from Hemel Hempstead towards London.

The name “Langley” derives from “Langelei”; a long meadow or clearing.
Edmund de Langley, the first Duke of York and fifth son of Edward III, was born in the Royal Palace (built under the supervision of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I), in 1341. His tomb and that of his first wife Isabel of Castile is contained in the very attractive All Saints Church, which in turn is adjacent to the tranquil Village Garden.
During the Black Death of 1349, the Royal Palace was used by Edward III as his seat of government. Sadly the palace is no longer standing.
Until 1935, the village historically held an important royal prerogative, the right to fly the Royal Standard.
Today, the village has a population of almost 6,000. It has a thriving High Street with many and varied shops offering a wide range of goods and services.
Situated in close proximity to the M25, Kings Langley also has good rail links with London. The Grand Union canal, which reached the village in 1797, forms the border with Abbots Langley to the East.
The village has a library, community centre, primary and seniors schools, two doctors surgeries and a retained fire station.
On the sports front, the village has an active bowls club and its cricket and football clubs have recently completed new modern facilities.
The village also has many community groups and societies and every June stages the annual carnival on its common. For many years until his death, Kings Langley was the home of renowned jazz musician and radio presenter Benny Green.

For more information look at the Kings Langley website Kings Langley Village website

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *